Monday, April 20, 2015

Tuhannen Kunniaksi band 1, finished!

The Tuhannen Kunniaksi band is finished.  I am quite happy with it!




In real life, the green is a little darker than it looks in the photo.  There is a bit more contrast between the blue and purple of the border tablets.

I ended up with probably about 4' of band, and it is more than 1" but less than 1.25" wide.  I did 6 full repeats of the 3-forward/3-back sets of pattern repeats.  The first one was woven using the chart for Band 1a, with half-turns.  The rest were using the chart for Band 1b, without half-turns.  I preferred the gentler curves of Band 1b for this particular band.

My edges and weft spacings are getting more consistent.  The first few repeats of the band are a bit wider than the rest of the band, but it's not by all that much.

I have not yet decided what to do with the ends, so they are still long and untrimmed.  I stopped where I did because I knew there wasn't room for another set of 6 or even 3 pattern repeats.






Let's see, what was new/different/educational about this band...

A lot was what I wrote in a previous post.  This is the most complex pattern I've done so far, with cards that turned forward and backward differently in each row.  It's the most cards I've used for a tablet weaving so far.  It has actual border cards that only turned forward for the entire band.  The chart used a new-to-me (I think) method of indicating how the cards were to be threaded.  It had half-turns.

I learned how to unweave.  That is a big, important thing for me.  I took out mistakes as I found them, and thus the band doesn't have messed-up areas.  I am starting to be able to read the threads and compare them to the diagram before throwing the weft and moving on to the next line in the chart.  That is useful, and should improve with future bands, I hope.

Doing the last few pattern repeats was tough.  I should see what it's like to use weights on each individual tablet.  A warp spreader of some sort might be useful, too.

I confirmed, yet again, that cats are terrible warping and weaving assistants.

Next up, I think, will be another simple threaded-in band with regular turnings so that other household members can do a bit of weaving.

No comments:

Post a Comment