Tuesday, April 7, 2015

Getting closer to done

I am nearing the end of my kivrim band.  It is going well.  I have not achieved perfect consistency, but simply being aware of the issue is helping.  I keep not doing any reversals, but that's OK.

Here is a photo.  It is the band on the loom, duh.




I have removed the weights so I can move the band along.  You can see a bunch of pattern repeats of slightly different angularities as well as my lovely green weft on the shuttle.  I am a terrible photographer, so a lot of details are indistinct.  Oh, well, sorry about that.

My tablets are from Robin & Russ Handweavers, purchased back when they were alive and the store was still in business.  This is the same Russell E. Groff who published a little booklet of threaded-in tablet weaving designs.  Of course I own that little booklet, too.

Hopefully my next post about this band will be when it is done.  Since this is a Noob Blog, I will show all the bad spots.  Probably.  Unless I get too embarrassed, even though I promised this blog would show my evolution starting as a near-novice who made all the usual mistakes.  Overall, though, I am pleased with the band.  The thing of having different cards turn in different directions is not at all difficult.  I feel comfortable about trying more complex patterns of this genre.  Which was one of the main objectives of doing this band, of course.  Also, it is a striking pattern even when woven by a Noob.

When searching around online for other photos of this pattern, I see that it has a lot of names -- Kivrim, Running Dog, Widderhorn, and Ram's Horn.  I like those names.  They are charmingly evocative of the romance of tablet weaving and narrow wares.  I don't know if the names refer to only this pattern, or to an entire class of patterns.  I know that I've more often seen Ram's Horn applied to this motif when there are two of them, mirror-imaged.

No comments:

Post a Comment