Tuesday, April 28, 2015

Fun With Drafting Conventions

So, the next tablet-weaving band is the Chevron pattern from Mim's Muddle.  (Yeah, the link to the Chevron pattern goes to a pdf file, and it's labeled chevon instead of chevron.  Whatever)

Luckily, there is also a page on the drafting conventions used for the patterns on the website.

Good.

Note that ABCD run top to bottom.  The cards are labeled clockwise with the ABCD.  The S and Z refer to threading directions.  And the cards all face right, but are numbered left to right.  So card 1 is on the left and card 10 is on the right, and all of them face right rather than left.  Also, one starts weaving with AD at the top.

This is an easy little pattern of arrows or chevrons.  It is turned forward continuously.  I will probably work out extra twist rather than do reversals when the twist builds up.

I am thinking of making the chevrons offset for part of the band instead of having it be symmetric.  We shall see.

Eventually I'll probably be able to read my weaving and not need the numbers and threading and which-way conventions, but for now, it is helpful.  I can handle different systems as long as I know.  Eventually I should be able to know even without clear labels and explanation pages and what-not.  Given the plethora of interesting yet now-semi-anonymous patterns on the 'net, that seems to be a worthwhile goal.

Onward with chevrons!  I'm sure I'll have help.  The cats have already helped.  As usual, their assistance was not actually helpful in the way that most people define the word.  But they are cats, and their definitions are different from mine.


No comments:

Post a Comment