Wednesday, April 15, 2015

Today's Progress Report

Weaving is occurring!  I have done six repeats so far -- three one way and three the other way, for one six-repeat mirrored set.

Lessons so far:

I needed more weight to get a good shed.  So I have attached a filled water bottle to the set of other junk hanging from the back end of the warp.  If I don't start weighting each card individually or in groups, I should probably upgrade to a gallon jug, filled as necessary, for the next band.  For now, though, I want to be more or less consistent for the rest of this band.

I have figured out how to unweave!  Well, of course I would, with a pattern like this.  I did not feel well yesterday when I did the first pattern repeat, and thus Mistakes Were Made.  And then Fixed!  So I'm happy about that.

My weft spacing is still not consistent.  Oh, well, I'll continue to work on that.  I suspect it's like knitting, where it takes a certain amount of practice for one's gauge to settle down.

My width is not consistent yet.  The beginning repeat or so is a bit wider than the width I am doing now.  I'll see how it goes as I continue.

I like how it looks so far, though this is not a very good photo.



I am always absurdly pleased when I finish the 10 rows of the repeat and all the cards are back where they belong!

I am not sure about the mirroring.  It looks like the diagram wants me to do two transition rows before starting the mirror repeat.  I did that, as can be seen above. Then, I think, I just go straight back to the forward repeat when I change back to the original direction?  I guess I'll find out soon.  I'm not too worried since I can now unweave mistakes!  It might be slow and ugly before the shed opens up, but I can do it!

Soon I have to either reverse the edge direction or take out the accumulated twist.  I haven't decided which way to do it yet.

For now, I am doing the version of the pattern with half-turns.  I haven't decided if/when to switch to the one without half-turns.  I like the softened curves in the band that was shown in the pattern post.  But I like the sharper and better-defined angles, too.

A darker green would have looked nicer, but this is the green I happen to have.  So there.  If I keep on weaving, I'll add more to the stash.


No comments:

Post a Comment