Thursday, April 9, 2015

Small Oseberg-style Band

I am doing another small tablet-woven band.  It is a threaded-in pattern with all cards turning in the same direction.

It is a band in the style of a small tablet-woven band from Oseberg, according to Silvia Aisling.  She wrote about it here and gives the draft for it in this pdf.

I am doing it with 8 cards, omitting the two cards at the outer border.  I am using white and blue instead of Silvia Aisling's white and orange.  The weft is the same thin green crochet cotton I used for the last band.  For this band, I am trying to keep the edges and weft spacing consistent as best I can.

This is an extremely charming pattern that looks good on both sides.

Since other family members want to play, too, I wanted a nice simple pattern for them to try.  I think this is a good one.

Photos will be added eventually, I'm sure!

I am getting faster at making/cutting the warp and getting it threaded in.  I only had to re-thread a few cards for S/Z mistakes, and all was fine by the time I started.  I got the tension fixed pretty quickly, so the weaving started without many headaches.  This looks good from the very first repeat.

 I am enjoying this band a lot and will probably make it again in other color combinations.

I seem to be using the terms card and tablet somewhat interchangeably.  Oh, well.  It doesn't bother me, but my future mythical readers might want to keep that in mind.


No comments:

Post a Comment