Wednesday, April 1, 2015

More natterings from the noob

Weaving is occurring!

This is far from perfect.  For the first repeat, I did the wrong turnings.  It is charming but not the Kivrim I was trying to achieve.

For the next few turnings, I had tremendous trouble getting a good open shed.  The cards kept getting tangled.  So the pattern is not at all clear.

So I carefully straightened out each card and its threads, and then re-tensioned everything.  I added one of my extra C-clamps to the kumihimo weights, which gives me close to the right tension   Also, the braid finally became long enough to clip to itself.

Success!  The next several pattern repeats have been good.  Well, except for when I lose concentration and forget to turn both packs of cards before putting the shuttle through the shed.  That's only once or twice, though.

It's still tricky to get the shed nice and open when I am using two packs of cards.  I don't know why or what to do about it yet.  I've started re-uniting the two packs for the section where they all turn together, separating them again for the section where they turn separately.

I wonder if I would prefer to do card-flipping rather than having two packs?  I will try that at some point.  Not just yet, though.

It is, as always, very gratifying to see the pattern developing.  It is so cute!

We won't talk about edges or anything like that.  I figure consistency will come with time and experience, assuming I stick with this for a while.  I am not going to try to un-weave mistakes, not yet.  That will be in some future band, probably.

I will add photos soon, especially now that I have some good repeats available to photograph.  Not that it matters much, since no one is reading this blog except for me.  I'm writing for myself for now, not only to entertain mythical future readers.  These are my thoughts as I fight my way through the problems I encounter as I learn and hopefully improve.   This is what is happening to one novice tablet weaver as I discover the true meaning behind the bland advice and warnings that are given in various books, articles, blogs, websites, etc.

The loom seems to work well enough.

No comments:

Post a Comment