Wednesday, April 8, 2015

Completed -- My first Kivrim/Running Dog band!

I will add a photo eventually.

It is done!

I ended up with a band that is about 5 feet long.   Most of it is pretty reasonable.  The first 6 or so repeats were where I was having a lot of problems with learning the pattern and being able to open the shed properly and all that.  After that, the rest looks good, with only one or two of the pattern repeats being a bit wonky.  With one of the wonky repeats, the cards started flopping around, I couldn't figure out how to unweave, and I just put the cards back in order and started over.  With the other one, I think I forgot to put the weft through before turning the cards again.

The last half of the band has fairly consistent edges and fairly consistent weft spacings.  The first half has more inconsistent weft spacings.  It shows me how this pattern varies with the weft spacing -- more angular for longer spacing, more rounded for tighter spacing.

I finished the ends with a twisted fringe.  I took 2 threads from each card and twisted them.  I took the other 2 threads from the card and twisted those.  Then I tied the two twisted pairs together.  They self-plied.  Yay.

I think this pattern would look pretty cool with two colors, so one would end up with the white (or equivalent) spiraling on a solid background.

This was an enjoyable and very educational project.  I used weighted warps on a loom, I did a pattern with cards twisting in different directions, I paid attention to how I finished the band, I did a pattern with no reversals at all (requiring me to untwist some cards), and so on.  I continued to gain experience with weaving consistency, both the edges and the weft spacing.  I have tablet-woven a pattern that I have long admired.  I'm still a novice, but less of a novice than I was when I started this band.

I'm not sure what I'll do with the band, but that doesn't matter.

I'm not totally sure what is next, but I'm pretty sure it will be a threaded-in pattern that has a simple all forward X times, all back X times turning sequence.  Other family members want to help, not just the cats.  A simple and repetitive turning sequence probably the easiest one for them to do.

No comments:

Post a Comment