Tuesday, June 25, 2024

Hallstatt 3/HallTex 152 tablet-woven band (2-thread technique)

It is finished!  Well, not blocked yet.  But it's off the tablets.  It ended up being roughly 1cm wide, roughly 160cm long.  Each 3-diamond repeat is roughly 6cm long.




I used the chart from Maikki Karisto and Mervi Pasanen, from the Swan River Crafts blog.  They wrote that the original was made from wool (mine is from #10 crochet cotton) and was 1.4 cm wide.

I like it a lot.  Well, 2-hole, of course I like it!  It was fun to weave.  The backside looks nice, too.  Interestingly, it has a slight spiral twist, probably because the edge tablets are asymmetric (3 on one side, 1 on the other).  Hopefully it'll block out, and ditto for any other irregularities.

I have no idea what I'll do with this band.  Maybe it'll be a gift.   I like the color combo and will use that in future bands.

It is interesting to me that I keep getting pattern/motif elongation.  The weft is packed pretty tightly (it's quite wedged in when I have to unweave).  It's not pulled too tightly across the band, I don't think (if I loosen it up much more, the edge tablets start look strange and I still can't beat it much harder).  I don't think I have the tension too tight, and I don't want it to be much looser because then it's hard to beat and the threads start getting wonky and inconsistent  (too tight is also hard to beat and of course stretches the weft out more).  The weft thread is a lot finer than the warp thread so that's not the issue.  Maybe it's something about cotton.  Or about a warp-weighted loom.  Or just some variable I haven't recognized yet, or some technique I need to improve/modify.  Hmmm.

Dunno what I'll do next.  Maybe I'll warp up another quick tablet-weaving project and also crank out a few fingerloop braids.  Or cast on for a sweater or afghan or something.  Or spin up a few things so I can justify going to a fiber festival and buying something.  Or all of the above.


No comments:

Post a Comment