Monday, September 30, 2024

A band with a spiral motif (kivrim)

I  haven't done a kivrim pattern in a long time.  I wanted something quick and cheerful and noticed this very typical spiral style pattern motif on an internet photo.  I charted it up (just to understand the pattern since there are plenty of existing charts out there) and then got started.

It went quickly and was fun.  I've come a long way since my first running-dog/rams-horn band...



I think I did about 108 pattern repeats, for a band that is about 1/2" wide and 63" long.  The warp is the usual Aunt Lydia's #10 crochet cotton and the weft is some leftover black doily-knitting thread.

I think I'll keep this one in my repertoire.

I'm not sure what I'll do next.  I want to finish a spinning project and maybe knit a quick doily.  Any number of tablet-weaving projects are whispering at me, and ditto for braiding.

This would have been finished sooner except that one of my cats likes to sit on the band (actually, the unwoven tensioned warp) not long after I start weaving.  At that point I switch to a different project until she's done with her nap.  I've learned from experience that getting a cat off the weaving is a dangerous thing to do since the cats think it's a fine game and bring out their claws to tangle the warp and potentially shred my fingers.

It's hard to find solid info about the history of the kivrim technique.  I know it's not really seen in old European and North African tablet weaving.  It's definitely known from 19th century to early 20th century Anatolia.  But when did it really appear and how widespread was it?  Did other tablet-weaving cultures do anything similar?

Kivrim still seems like a sub-category of diagonals-technique patterns to me.  The things that seem to be characteristic (at least what I see so far) are (a) the bands often have a unique threading on each tablet as opposed to a more generic threading sequence (such as ABAB or AABB); and (b) some of the tablets are balanced in their turning while others accumulate twist (though this is not completely diagnostic since other techniques may -- or may not -- do the same).


No comments:

Post a Comment