Tuesday, March 19, 2024

Fingerlooping along with 5-loop bicolor-loop braids


Here is the braid I did yesterday.  Part of it is a standard V-fell 5-loop square braid (orthodox), and part of it is a standard V-feel 5-loop unorthodox braid (the common one where the only loop gone through is the one next to the traveling loop).  It looked pretty much the same from the side I was looking at, so I didn't quite notice until I got to the end and saw that the backside was different.  Both are nice braids, but I wasn't intending on doing a mixed braid like this.

The intention was to do the "edge plus one solid loop" 5-loop triangle braid on this page.  The other braid is described elsewhere on Ingrid Crickmore's website here as a "bicolor striping plus contrast loop(s)" square braid.

I'm not sure how well the photo shows fronts and backs.  Oh, well, I'll know it when I see it, and this blog is meant for my own purposes rather than to entertain the masses.

I decided that it would be easier to cut more thread and make another braid instead of unbraiding the above.  I switched it around a little bit -- a, b, and c on one hand are the dark color (blue).  The other hand has bicolor loops (blue/red) with red uppermost.  I just did a plain V-fell 5-loop square braid.


I like how it turned out.  Though I wasn't able to keep the tension consistent throughout, which I didn't quite realize until after I was done and had soaked the braid in warm water for a while.  Something to keep working on, I suppose.  I did zone out while braiding this pair of braids, but luckily I didn't switch to a different structure or color pattern while not paying attention.

Although the triangle braid is fun to make, I prefer the color pattern on the square braid.  As seems typical with unorthodox braids, the top and bottom are not symmetric/identical.  That's cool, but it bothered me with this particular color set-up.

Now to think about what I want to do next...


No comments:

Post a Comment