Tuesday, March 5, 2024

Fingerlooping along... (5 strand square and 7 strand flat)



This photo shows a pair of fingerloop braids that will be given away.  It's made from the cotton crochet stash, like most of the others I'm giving away.  Four loops yellow, one loop red, the standard 5-loop square/round braid where the operator finger goes through two loops then takes the traveling loop reversed, A-fell braiding method.

It's pretty cute.  Of course.



This second photo is a new-to-me braid.  It's 7-strands, and done in the usual ugly worsted weight acrylic yarn I use for experiments.  I saw a reference to a youtube video that showed how to braid this.  They call it a Celtic Braid.  It is braided using the slentre braiding technique -- palms mostly facing down, index finger is the operator finger and it takes the little-finger loop from the other hand.  I'm sure it can be braided using other hand positions, but doing it this way was very straightforward.

This was fairly quick and easy to do, though my finger dexterity still needs a lot of work!  No loops actually go through any other loops.  So it probably doesn't matter much whether the loop is taken reversed or unreversed, and it would be pretty straightforward to do this as a freehand or finger-weaving braid.  The braid itself is nice, a cute little flat interlaced braid.  You can probably see a few mistakes or loose tension areas in the braid, but that's not unexpected given that this was my first time doing this braid.

This might make an acceptable belt/sash, especially if done in something other than acrylic.

That's it from me today!  Nothing too different from before, but I'm practicing the various skills and trying more new braids.  I will continue to do braids that help me develop finger independence and dexterity.  I can already tell that moving loops from my pinky finger to my ring finger was a little easier today than it was yesterday.

No comments:

Post a Comment