Monday, February 5, 2024

Rainbow stripes (an easy tablet-woven band) and a couple of 3-loop fingerloop braids

This wove up quite quickly.  Well, no reason why it shouldn't have -- just keep turning the cards, no counting or thinking to do.


I like how it looks.  This is the same on both sides and would make a good strap or belt.  It's about 67" long and not quite 1.25" wide.  There are 33 tablets, 4 threads per tablet, alternating / and \ tablet orientation, with all 4 threads in each tablet being the same color.  The colors are rainbow -- red, orange, yellow, green, blue, violet, 2 tablets of each, with 3 tablets of black between and around each color stripe.  I used my usual stash of big-box-store crochet cotton #10 with the slightly finer black #10 cotton as weft.

I'm not sure why the lines aren't crisp for some of the colors.  Differences in tension?  Funky weaving?  Uneven cotton thread?  \ and / instead of / and \ for the tablet orientations?  It'll probably mostly even out with blocking and/or wearing.  It's still a cute band.  I still like stripes.

--------------------

Next up are two 3-loop fingerloop braids.  I wanted to really see the difference between two slightly different braiding patterns.  I used loops of 3 different colors to have some sense of what was going on.  (Six colors would have been even more clear, but eh, maybe a future experiment.)


Yup, definitely different.

The first braid is the one from Ingrid Crickmore's instructions at https://loopbraider.com/2012/08/02/easy-3-loop-braids/.  (It was originally a tutorial/class on the Braids and Bands mailing list.)  I did what she calls the square braid, which indeed is more triangular than square.

The other braid is based on a different loop-braiding tutorial/class on the Braids and Bands mailing list, by Jean Leader.  It is a lot rounder that the first one, and for me at this point, it's looser and stretchier than the first one.  It's still pretty cute and would be perfectly respectable with better color and yarn/thread choices.

For both of these braids, I was using my middle finger to get the loop from the other hand.  Leader's instructions (now that I look at them) suggests using the index finger.  Actually, Leader's instructions are definitely different from what I did.  Hmmm...  Clearly I need to follow her actual instructions instead of the ones in my imagination.  Or maybe I really did see what I did somewhere and have just forgotten where.  Or maybe I am mixing the instructions for the double-braid (aka divided braid) and the square braid.

Let's see if I can describe what I did without a good graphic...

For both braids, there are 2 loops on one hand and 1 on the other.

For the square/triangular braid -- I used my middle finger as the picker.  It went under the loop on my index finger, through the loop on the middle finger of the other hand, then around the top of the loop of the index finger on the other hand, pulling that loop through.  The loop on the middle finger moves to the empty index finger, leaving the middle finger ready to take a loop from the other hand.  Then the moves repeat using the other hand.

My second braid is done just like the first Crickmore braid, except that the empty middle finger goes through the loop on the index finger as well as through the middle finger of the other hand before picking up the loop from the index finger of the other hand (through the top, so it reverses).

Jean Leader's version is a bit different from that -- she uses the index finger as the picker and hooks the loop through the bottom and doesn't go through the same loops as the other versions, I don't think.  I will do this one and see how it compares!  It might just be the A-fell vs V-fell version of the same braid, though I'll better after I do it.

I am not including the double-braid (i.e. no reversed loops) or the flat braid (alternating reversed and non-reversed loops) in my playing around.

Once I get bored with simple 3-loop braids, maybe I'll move on to the 5-, 6-, and 7-loop braids.  There are lots of possibilities with those!  I'll also post pics of my 2- and 4-loop loop-exchange braids and maybe do the 6-loop version or beyond, as well.  The 4-loop one looks very much like some of the 8-strand square braids I've done on the marudai.

------------------

I'm not sure what tablet-weaving project will happen next.  I'm also feeling a vague urge to warp up my inkle loom (now that the big one has returned to its owner) and make a few inkle bands.  And so on.


No comments:

Post a Comment