Tuesday, February 28, 2023

A few quick cords

 While I've been dithering over what to tablet-weave next, I cranked out a few quick cords.


The small cotton cords are two-strand chain sinnets, aka finger crochet aka zipper sinnets.  The variegated purple one is a two-loop finglooped braid.

The zipper sinnets are not true braids since the two strands are interlooped rather than obliquely intertwined, according to my understanding of current braid/cord terminology.

My tensioning with the fingerlooped braid isn't half-bad, all considered.  The strands were fairly long so I worked with shortened loops, letting out the additional length when needed.  It's not a perfectly-made braid, but that's OK.  It does spiral a bit, like it's supposed to.  I wonder if I should try to make one where I alternate which way I twist the loop?  If I did that, it would probably look like the same 4-strand braid one sees with free-end braiding and marudai-kumihimo braiding.  It's so fast and mindless the way it is now, though.  It's still worth maybe trying it as an experiment.

The two sinnets are made from random leftover crochet cotton, both roughly #10, though the blue/purple might be a little finer than that, maybe #20.  The green and yellow sinnet uses big-box crochet cotton (so a bit thicker than #10) which has a thin strand of tinsel/mylar wrapped around the cotton. Shiny!  I did roughly 3 meters (roughly 10 feet) of each cord.  The fingerlooped cord is made from leftover Red Heart acrylic.  The variegated yarn hides most of the irregulaties.  It is roughly 2 feet long.

I think I know what I'll be tablet-weaving, but I haven't yet warped it up.  So maybe there will be more quick cords until I'm ready to cut the yarn, thread the tablets, and start weaving.


No comments:

Post a Comment