Wednesday, March 7, 2018

Finished! (Egyptian diagonals band)




It is finished, and I like it a lot.

I ended up with about 5.5 to 6 feet of band, not counting the fringes or anything like that.  It's about 1.25" wide.  I did 19.5 pattern repeats.  The extra .5 is so that there are the same number of complete triangles on each side.

It turned out well.  Most of what I wrote in the previous post still stands.  The edges are relatively consistent and so is the weft spacing.  I unwove mistakes that were visible from the front, though the back has a couple of spots where the weft is visible over the border cards.  I guess I missed the shed on those picks...

One book refers to Egyptian diagonals as "double diagonals"  since pairs of cards may switch turning directions after every 2 picks.  I think I like that name for it.  Finnish diagonals don't always fall into that category, though.  Not that everything needs to rigidly fit into a specific category, of course!

I still need to finish the warp ends and maybe wet-block the band to remove the slight ripple (though I like the ripple, actually).  But I won't do that until I decide what, if anything, I want to do with the band.

What shall I work on next?  When will this blog see another post?  Time will tell.


No comments:

Post a Comment